Autor Wątek: [Tutorial] How to Customize and Opinel. The Opibird  (Przeczytany 12245 razy)

0 użytkowników i 1 Gość przegląda ten wątek.

Offline cardoso5fr

• A little French Balisong Maker
  • Opinii: (0)
  • Użytkownik knives.pl
    • My personnal knives productions and my how to
[Tutorial] How to Customize and Opinel. The Opibird
« dnia: 14-01-2007, 18:12:27 »
As i promise the little tuto for an opi bird bamboo (another version of the nick opi)

Material necessary

1 opinel (here N°8 but one 7 or 6 is worked as well)

Sander with band 80-120. (not obligatory).

Dremel (or copies) with drum of sandpapering 40 -120, felt of polishing, coils steel or wire brass, paste to be polished.

Rape with wood

Files

Sandpaper 40-80-120-320-600

sharpmaker

Small vices.

Wood various (bamboo in this case)

Woodworking, linseed oil glue, beeswax.

To begin here the blade of the opinel n°8 which underwent the transformations. It is seen that this blade with suffered, the point is broken the wire is destroyed and steel is patinated.

Large plan on marking, the opinel is rather recent. the handle and the ring on the other hand were in perfect state.

Large plan on the blade which has to be used as lever (as well the point as the edge).

To begin the customisation, to place the opinel in vices. Personally I am useful myself of lino so that bite them vices abime not wood (finally the part to be tightened), but sopalin, or all other materials plug can make the deal.

The place or I will delimit arreter the removal of matter, I give a small blow of hacksaw (to little meadows with 3mm of the edge of the "belt" which maintains the ring. Attention should well be paid not to be touched with this small wood belt, because it is it which makes it possible the ring to correctly function;

I thus attack the with dimensions one with the rape with wood punt. (Or with the sander) according to the speed of work until one waits and confidence that one has in that is to say.

After some blows of rape with wood and a few seconds of grinder (band grain 80-120). It is then necessary to make the same thing of the other with dimensions. In general I remove 3-4mm matter the chaques with dimensions ones. It is rather difficult to measure. In fact it is according to the thickness of the plates that one wants to put. For the opibird, it is necessary to pay attention not to remove too much matter so that the round-offs of origins are preserved. and that the plates can have the aspect of the wings.

To finich the dish of the part worked, I wedge a stone with oil rolled up in sandpaper in vices (grain100-120) and I pass then the dish of each with dimensions top in a regular way in order to applanir the dimensions complétement.

Here what that gives once the two with dimensions meadows.

Then I gave the form to the blade. I draw on the blade with the marker with CD the form which I want to obtain.

Then two solutions.

Version 1: I cut to 1-2mm (with the dremel with the discs to be cut up) line while following the latter. The margin will make it possible to carry out the completions and leaves a little margin of error bus when one cuts the risk of dérraper is fort.Ensuite one carries out the completion or the round one with the sander. On the photograph, one sees how I am used of the drum to sandpaper to carry out the completion. (Grain 120). The drum turns quickly and I apply by regular comings and goings and rapids (not to remain in contact with the drum at the same place in order not to too violently attack steel at the same place). In this manner one can carry out clean trés round-offs.

Version 2: One uses only the sander, and the dremel but without crossing. One applies the blade to the tape of the grinder in action (grain 80-120). Attention should be paid not to apply the blade in the contrary direction of défillement of the band. Indeed, this action risks to cut the band and to make it burst. (and consequently of blesser).Appliquer thus the blade by movements of fast comings and goings in the direction of run. (Moreover if you to apply the blade in the direction inverve run, the blade is likely to be projected towards the operator what is trés dangerous).

Once the blade formatted, one can use the dremel with the drums of grain 120 has low speed to refine the grain on the back of the blade thus worked.

In order to carry out plating in bamboo, it is necessary a plate of bamboo. One will have with the precondition split a band of a dimension slightly higher than what one wants to use. Then with the sander (or files it) one applanie the bamboo in order to stick two pieces plan one to the other

Photograph of joining, as it is seen I do not hesitate to put too full with adhesive, Faire to slip the two pieces to stick one on the other in order to remove the air and well étalier adhesive.

One will remove the too full one with a cotton stem or a rag. It should be taken care that the plate is dimensions higher than the final form. In order to be able to work over again the forme.Le surplus of adhesive will be in any event of removing with the sandpaper at the time of working.

To cut bamboo, it is recommended to put adhesive tape at the place or one crosses in order not to burst the higher part of grass C' is much less pretty if a piece of a plate is burst.

Photo shows the cutting which one will carry out on the assembly (plates-opinel) in order to be able to stick the plate of the heel. One can put the angle which one wishes. The whole is to check that the new size of blade will enter once the stuck heel.

The base of the feature corresponds in fact to 1mm of the place or the point of the blade enters the slit of the handle.

Plates more or less formatted at the grinder, and the dremel. The heel is to be stuck once the dry unit, one formats at the grinder and the dremel and one finished at the sandpaper. It is also necessary to envisage a cavity at the edge of the heel in order to be able to seize the blade which was recut. It is besides for that that the plate of the heel exceeds assembly in order to be able to format in the continuity of the handle using the drums of sandpapering on dremel (coarse grain) to attack the form and fine grain for the completion.

Here the form which one gives has the back of the handle in order to be able to seize the blade. It is seen that the part of the heel which exceeded handle incrit in continuity movement.

Veiled the finished product. The heel was round the plates are worked over again.

Once the form obtained, one passes the handle to the linseed oil and beeswax. A ptit blow of felt on the dremel in order to polish the unit and it is royal.

In this case the blade knew a polishing mirror which is not obliged. To restore it, it is enough to pass to the sandpaper 120 to 600 successively. 600 allowing to make disparaitre it quasi totality of the stripes. The remainder is made with the paste polish and the felt.

I hope the little information about the bamboo is usefull, it's a little the same thing as manofthewood opi, there is less detail, but it's another way to inform about the opi bird.

I hope you enjoy:)

@ + ben

Offline pecado

• Wsparcie techniczne
  • Szef
  • Opinii: (165)
  • clava curva pie vinco in spelunca
    • Knives.pl na FB
Odp: [Tutorial] How to Customize and Opinel. The Opibird
« Odpowiedź #1 dnia: 14-01-2007, 18:17:58 »
Thank you for this tutorial! :-)

Knives.pl has our own "master of Opinels" - Kubek.
Look here please:
http://www.knives.pl/forum/64-kubek-custom-knives/opinel-nr-9.0.html
http://www.knives.pl/forum/64-kubek-custom-knives/dwa-opinele.0.html
pozdrawiam
pecado
Fanklub Taktycznej Rusałki |#| Barankom mówię moje stanowcze nie :mad:
hokka hey hadree hadree succomee succomee

Offline cardoso5fr

• A little French Balisong Maker
  • Opinii: (0)
  • Użytkownik knives.pl
    • My personnal knives productions and my how to
Re: [Tutorial] How to Customize and Opinel. The Opibird
« Odpowiedź #2 dnia: 14-01-2007, 18:37:22 »
I know him on the Customknives.pl forum :), but i did'nt know he work on opinel :).